Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chips Scones

The theme for this month's BakeAlong is simple yet classic Scones. As I already have a some desserts left in the fridge from my previous bakes, frankly, I was relieved to see scones, something that is quintessentially a tea table favourite and a great snack anytime.


The Sunday morning was spent "spring cleaning" ( all right "monsoon cleaning") the house and I had planned to make these for our afternoon tea. So after having a wonderful lunch, admiring my now cleaned house and wondering how many days or rather hours it will stay this way, I started to assemble my ingredients for making scones. Uh-oh...I was out of all purpose flour and I didn't want to go out when it's pouring (I absolutely and I mean ABSOLUTELY hate to get my feet wet...yikes), quick thinking...and whole wheat flour it is!


The result was something super delish!! I have found my new tea-time favourite guys. Now don't expect these to be super-flaky, melt-in-your-mouth, loaded-with-butter scones.
What you get rather is a very filling, sponge like texture and, whats more, completely guilt free scones, as we are using only 3 tablespoons of butter. The sweetness is just perfect, not too sweet but what we call a hint of sweetness. And the dark chocolate just takes you straight into the chocolate heaven!


Whole Wheat Chocolate Chips Scones
Adapted from Skinnytaste.com
Ingredients:
3/4 cup cold buttermilk
1/4 cup + 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg + 1 egg white
2 cups whole wheat flour  (In  the original recipe it was 1 cup all purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon cold butter, cut into small cubes
3/4 cup chocolate chips


Method:
Preheat oven to 190 degree Celsius/ 375 degree Fahrenheit. Butter a baking dish and set aside.
Combine buttermilk, 1/4 cup sugar, vanilla and 1 large egg in a bowl and lightly whisk everything together.
In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk it to mix it properly. Add chilled butter cubes and with your finger tips or two forks mix everything into a coarse meal or bread crumbs stage. Gently fold in chocolate chips. Stir in the buttermilk mixture and blend everything until just mixed.
Place dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly four times with floured hands. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and form a nine inch circle by hands. Cut the circle into 8 wedges all the way through.
Brush egg white over dough and sprinkle evenly with sugar. Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve warm with your tea or coffee.

Linking this to BakeAlong, organised by Joyce from Kitchen Flavours, Lena from Frozen Wings and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids.
Grab a cuppa and have a scone while browsing through my baking-buddies' posts

18 comments:

  1. If you are using whole wheat flour, so the scones are more like a bread texture? This is something simple, healthy and awesome goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup you are right. These were more on bready side.

      Delete
  2. Wholewheat and chocolate, looks like something I would give my kids - a healthy treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your scones looks wonderful and lovely, and so yummy with the chocolate chips! Definitely a winner with the kids, I'm sure! I should try with wholewheat flour one of these days! Thank you for baking along with us! Wish you a delicious week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. chocolate scones..wow..i never had this before and i can also imagine some of the choc chips got melted in the scones itself would bring much yumminess to the scones. Lovely!! would be great to have this warm at your weather there! we finally got some rain yesterday and the sky is much clearer today :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skinny scones recipe! Sounds like this is the kind of recipe for me :D

    Your chocolate chip scones look heavenly and good to know that they are guilt-free!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anuja, this is a great healthy combination.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. like ur guilt free scones ..:) thanks for sharing this recipe .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hu Anuja, love your chocolate chips scones. The texture look so good, so nice to go with a cup of earl grey tea. I'm coming over for tea... LOL

    Have a nice day, regards & hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. will be a great addition to any tea :)thanks for the great recipe.. will bully my sis into making it for me..
    am following your blog for more such recipes now, do check out mine :)
    Take care

    The_Beauty_Doctor_Speaks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog dear :)
    take care

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chocholate chips is something that I like to bake with scone too.whole wheat scones definitely are healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks fantastic! I love the combination of buttermilk and wholewheat flour, it gives the recipe a certain richness I enjoy. It looks positively divine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I gotta try this one, since it's so healthy:D Looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love skinny scones & had tried them at Starbuck! These scones not only looks yummy but a very healthy treat too! I've never make scones before & now I'm tempted to make some. Great job Anuja, I love the shape of these mouth watering scones; have a lovely day, dear! HUGS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, boy do I love these! The whole wheat and healthier ingredients eliminate the guilt which comes from eating scones! A must try recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wholemeal chocolate scones are definitely the right combination for a very healthy and delicious scones. Yours look really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. mmmm... looks so nice! scones with whole wheat flour... i like! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...