Tuesday, 24 April 2012

Apricot Pistachio Lemon Coffee Cake

I first came across The Home Bakers' Club when I started bloghopping with Joyce, Lena and Zoe. We had just finished our fortnightly bakealong, "Strawberry and White Chocolate Cake" and in a couple of days this amazing swirl started popping up at their respective sites. After going through their posts about the THBC's first bakealong, I too wanted to be a part of that inspiring group. I immediately checked out the details and....came to a screeching halt.

You see, THBC is a group of passionate bakers who come together once in three weeks to bake from one chosen cookbook only. The main challenge of The Home Bakers is to complete every recipe from one chosen cookbook. BUT, and that too a big one, the first condition for being a member of THBC is that you must own a copy of the chosen book,"Coffee Cakes" by Lou Seibert Pappas.

Alas! I was disheartened. I already have quite a collection of cookbooks but none by Lou Seibert Pappas. I did not want to buy another one! It's ok! You don't need one more, first you finish off baking from the one's you already have. And that was what I was reminding myself again and again. Day in and day out I would sit in front of my lappy, gazing longingly at the amazon page of the book and, according to Sagar, moaning, like as if I was in actual physical pain. So one day he said ENOUGH! and took things in his hands, literally( well he used my lappy). He ordered the book online and said, There! now go get some sleep woman. And truthfully, I had a wonderful sleep, dreaming about my new book and it's awesome contents :D.


Made this on Sunday for a family get-together. It was a resounding success and the reason I can say that confidently...well for one, the cake was polished off and secondly, almost everyone asked for the recipe and it was highly circulated. 


The cake has amazingly fresh lemon flavour, because of the zest, and the use of yogurt gives it a very moist and tender texture.
This handsome cake makes a regal sight on a pedestal plate. Each lemon-flavored slice is colorfully flecked with pistachios and apricots. Enjoy it with a cup of Earl Grey tea or mellow Kenyan or Ethiopian coffee.- Lou Seibert Pappas.
                               
                           Dusted it with some icing sugar and the cake was all set to party :D


Apricot Pistachio and Lemon Coffee Cake
Adapted from "Coffee Cakes" by Lou Seibert Pappas
Ingredients:
Refer conversions
1 cup (225 grams) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 3/4 (395 grams) cups sugar (I used 300 grams)
4 large eggs (I used 5 medium eggs)
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (outer yellow skin)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup (240 ml) plain yogurt (I used homemade curd)
3 cups (330 grams) unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups chopped dried apricots (I used 225 grams)
3/4 cup unsalted pistachios (I used 85 grams)

Method:
Preheat the oven to 175°C. Butter and flour a 10-inch Bundt or tube pan. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well. Mix in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and yogurt.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to blend. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mixing just until blended. Stir in the apricots and nuts. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then unmold right side up on a wire rack and let cool completely.
Cut into slices to serve.

Linking this to The Home Bakers' Club. This month's cake was selected by Chris of Yummy Bakes.
                                             
                                                         

27 comments:

  1. Hi Anuja, wow... I love your Apricot Pistachio Lemon cake. It looks really good and I love anything lemon too.

    Your pictures like 3D, I could almost grab the cake and smell the lemon aroma from here. LOL

    Have a great week ahead. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake was really flavoursome (see how it reached to your nostrils via net :D ).Love your new post. You certainly fooled me there :D
      Take care and cyber hugs to you too

      Delete
  2. Your cake looks lovely! This is a winner in my house too, I love the apricots and lemon combination! I browsed at Amazon website too every night! And sigh, sigh, sigh....too many books already and budget, budget, budget! So I know how you feel about that smile on the face when falling asleep! Hahaa! So sweet of Sagar! Glad that you are part of THB!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Joyce for visiting!
      I know it really feels frustrating just looking at those books and goodies :(.

      Delete
  3. yummmmyyyy cake...turned out perfect...btw, do come by and grab the awards waiting for u at my space ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Resh and congrats to you for the awards :D.

      Delete
  4. Hey Anuja, you are fast too... I am yet to bake this. Heehee... I will definitely bake this tonite ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I was the 8th one to enter! LOL.
      Looking forward to your post.

      Delete
  5. yeah, fully agree. I like the lemon juice and zest that compliments very well with the other fruits. Yours very nicely baked. Nice meeting you through this event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Chris for visiting. It's really great baking with you guys! Nice meeting you too :D

      Delete
  6. Hi, wow! I can practically get the lovely tangy scent of your this outstanding cake!
    I am impressed! Love the texture and colour.
    I guess 3 pieces would do me fine, ha ha.
    Can see you have a black belt in baking.
    You have fun, and keep a song in your heart.
    Best regards.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi uncle Lee! Glad to see you here :D. Don't know abt the black belt but I really m passionate abt it. Thanx for visiting. Have a happy week!

      Delete
  7. Love love pictures #3 and #4! Looks so moist and tender even without slicing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Emily for visiting. The cake really had a tender and moist texture.

      Delete
  8. Your cake looks lovely! Great idea of dressing it with icing sugar.
    Hundred Eighty Degrees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Eileen for stopping by. Dusting icing sugar really makes it attractive in a rustic kinda way.

      Delete
  9. anuja! this is pretty!! you did well and i am here chuckling reading you talking about day in and day out moaning about the book!! haha..now you have it and looking forward to more of our bakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I really got on sagar's nerves.
      Love to be a part of such awesome group. Looking forward to more yummy bakealongs :D.

      Delete
  10. I am mad about apricots. This cake looks so good and must be delicious! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alida!
      You'll definitely love this cake. And it's super easy to put together.
      M sorry to hear abt your site. Hope you are able to recover your photographs and content.
      Have a happy weekend.

      Delete
  11. That is such a lovely cake. I am glad you bought the book. I, also bought it and I didn't need another cook book but I did want it and since my husband likes coffee cakes, I did get it. There are so many recipes that I want to make. It will be a pleasure cooking through the book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely cake! Would love to see the inside, better yet, have a piece to enjoy:D Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a lovely looking cake and yes, it taste nice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad you decided to get the book and start baking with along with the home bakers;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Anuja, I'm glad you got the book! I think it's really worth keeping. Your cake looks really delcious - can't wait for the next bake! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! These cake certainly look lovely & delicious! Beautifully presented! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...