Monday, 13 February 2012

Strawberry Meringue Chocolate Layer Cake

Happy Valentine's Day!.
I'm not the most sentimental of people but you don't need to be in the first flush of romance to consider yourself part of this pink-tinted festival of hearts. Now I dont need roses or expensive jewellery (except diamonds). I’m not the heart locket and stuffed animal type. I’m more the diamonds and expensive chocolate type.
Like I said earlier, I'm not a sentimental person (Sagar will say rather I'm a mental person..hehe) but if food is involved, I'll get teary eyed. Thats what happened last night when I made this fabulous creation. It was looking so pretty, sitting on my table top, I was so overwhelmed (literally)  by the beauty of this gorgeous creation, my eyes got misty. No really. Choose not to believe me but really it happened.

Now enough about my emotions and more about this beauty. I knew it that I have to make it when I saw this gorgeous creation on Not quite Nigella's blog. It was calling me. Then I also saw Deeba's post and I was so inspired that I decided to make it straightaway. It took me a couple of hours to make both sponges & get the cake together, but you can do it quicker if you have 2 similar sized tins. The original recipe used spring-form tins. I have only one heart shaped normal cake tin. I set my quark curd 2 days in advance, so it was ready for use the day I baked the cakes. If you want, you can make the quark cheese, otherwise there’s always the indulgent alternative- whipping cream!
There are a few things I should mention when making this cake. Firstly, the chocolate cake batter only barely covers the bottom of the cake tin. It needs to be pushed around the tin. This is because we only want a thin layer of cake. The cake batter is then covered with a sweet meringue which will rise as it bakes with a thin crust which is a little crispy. However, as the cake cools, the meringue will deflate and the crust will soften. Secondly, although you can bake the cake a day ahead, do not fill the cake with the whipped cream and strawberries until shortly before serving.


Strawberry Meringue Chocolate Layer Cake
(Adapted from Not Quite Nigella)
125 grams all purpose flour
25g cocoa powder

1 1/2 tsp baking powder
100g very soft unsalted butter
300g caster sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 tbsp milk
25g flaked almonds
Filling:
100ml low fat cream
1-2 tbsps powdered sugar (adjust according to sweetness of strawberries}
100gm quark,
200g strawberries, chopped

Method:
Preheat oven to 160 degree Celsius and place rack in the center of oven. Line, butter and flour two 22cm spring-form tins, or heart tins. (I lined the bottoms).
In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder and the baking powder. Set aside.
Separate the eggs while they are still cold, placing the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another bowl. Cover the two bowls with plastic wrap and allow the eggs to come to room temperature before using (about 30 minutes).
Cream the butter and 100g of the caster sugar in another bowl until light and fluffy. Beat the yolks into the butter and sugar, saving the whites to whisk later. Gently fold in the weighed-out dry ingredients, add the vanilla, then sir in the milk to thin the batter. Divide the mixture between the two prepared springform tins.
Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gradually add the remaining 200g caster sugar. Spread a layer of meringue on top of the sponge batter in each tin and sprinkle the almonds evenly over.
Bake for 30-35 mins, by which time the top of the almond-scattered meringues will be a dark gold.

Filling:
Whip the cream with sugar to soft/medium peaks. Reserve.
Beat the quark until creamy and smooth. Fold the whipped cream through it.

How to Assemble:
Paint a sugar syrup to the chocolate sides of the sponge if desired. Lay one cake on the serving platter, chocolate side up, top with the quark filling. Sprinkle over with chopped strawberries, and top with the other cake, chocolate side down. Chill until ready to serve.







3 comments:

  1. Your cake looks wonderful and thank you for the shoutout! Happy Valentines Day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Wow Wow... i kept on drooling ... Ure my dessert queen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Wow Your desserts are simply awesome...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...